Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What Does a Gas Station Have to do With Human Rights?


I stopped for gas today on my way home from lunch with my good friend Cassie. I snapped this photo with the intent of writing something humorous about how silly/weird/suggestive this name is for a convenience store. But, before I had a chance to upload the photo and jot down my musings for the day, I watched the documentary "Very Young Girls." 

Wow. After viewing this film, I didn't feel very humorous. In fact, it's hard for me to describe all the emotions I felt. I am not naive enough to think this wasn't happening, but hearing these young girls' stories was heartbreaking and inspiring all at the same time. As I sat on my couch in my cozy house, on an afternoon that I was getting paid for not being at work, I thought how lucky I was to have grown up in a nurturing environment with parents who instilled self-confidence in me. I simultaneously was thinking, really, how easy my life has been, and given the opportunities I have had over the years, that somehow I should be leaving a bigger mark on the world. 

As the girls featured in the documentary told their stories of broken homes, poverty, domestic abuse, drugs, and every bad thing you could imagine at age 13 or 14, I reflected on how vulnerable I felt at that age even with the love and support that I had. It is so easy to see how the girls get caught up in the life...searching for love and comfort from men they initially looked at protectors or father figures. But, that is their ploy, to gain the girls' trusts before prostituting them.

The movie also chronicles an amazing organization, Girls Educational & Mentoring Services (GEMS), founded by a woman who is also a survivor of sexual exploitation. This organization recognizes they cannot save every girl, but they share some amazing success stories. The spirits of these young women are phenomenal. To read more about the movie or the organization, you can click the link below.


So, what started as a day where I was feeling a bit mopey because my vacation would be over and tomorrow I would be going back to work ended with gratitude that I have a safe comfortable life here. Even my worse day ever would not compare to the stories of the girls in the movie. 

So, how does Kum & Go relate to human rights? I got to thinking that we have really turned into a convenience store society. We want instant service with little or no interaction. I won't even take advantage of the $0.06/gallon discount at the Hyvee gas station, because I would actually have to go into the store to pay. We don't want to take the time to look someone in the eye or to say hello. When former NY Giants football player Lawrence Taylor was arrested a few months back for statutory rape of a minor, I admit that I kind of felt bad for LT, like he was set up or just didn't know how old the girl was. But, today, I realize he *is* part of this huge problem that seemingly doesn't get the attention it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When You Selfishly Think You Had a Bad Day

I was feeling sorry for myself as I sat in the Admiral's Lounge, waiting for my flight home. It was a stressful week at work. I logged 7...