Friday, January 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Katie Anthony, Happy Birthday to You!

One of my besties celebrated her birthday today -- Happy Birthday Katie! We decided to go old school for dinner. My other bestie Liz and I took Katie and her hubby Caleb to the Ced-Rel Supper Club in Cedar Rapids. It was like stepping back in time -- red leather booths, a relish tray served with every dinner, and a menu filled with big steaks and fish. You'll find no food artfully arranged on a plate with drizzles of raspberry swirled around. You get your slab of meat on a plate with a potato of your choice served on a separate plate. Oh, and don't forget the bean pot.  What was absent was the smoky haze that likely filled the room 50 years ago. A little Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin as background music would have made it all complete. When Katie asked the hostess if they had Johnnie Walker Red, she gave her a look and said in a gravelly voice, "Yea, honey we got Johnnie Walker Red." Duh, Katie!

Katie and Caleb!

Katie and Liz

I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to the fabulous Miss Hillary, who is my niece's bestie. They are in Las Vegas celebrating Hillary's 21st birthday, which is also today. The last Facebook update I saw showed a stretch pink Hummer that was picking them up. Ahhhh, youth... We stuffed our faces and were at home and changed into stretchy pants by 9 p.m. Those kids probably hadn't even started the party by that time. 

Hillary and I on New Year's Eve

Make no mistake...I have some fabulous people in my life!

1 comment:

When You Selfishly Think You Had a Bad Day

I was feeling sorry for myself as I sat in the Admiral's Lounge, waiting for my flight home. It was a stressful week at work. I logged 7...