Sunday, February 13, 2011

Take Four Advils and See If I'm Awake in the Morning

I am sitting on the couch watching "Brothers and Sisters." I might be on the couch all night. The thought of climbing the stairs to my old bedroom at the farm seems like a task that is just unimaginable. Every muscle in this 49 year old body is aching with tiredness. I went skiing today for the first time in about 10 years. I'm getting so old I can't exactly remember the last time. I know I skied at Keystone in November 1999 when I was there for a conference. But, I think I skied at least one other time since then...maybe in 2000. But, in any case, it's been a while, and my body is telling me so at this moment. I've already popped three 200 mg Ibuprofens. I think I will need a few more if I make it off the couch.

I remembered today why I love skiing. Especially on days like today, with clear blue skies, bright sunshine, and warm temperatures. Yes, so warm that I was actually a bit overdressed and felt a bit sweaty under my ski jacket during the mid-part of the afternoon. Gliding down the hill feels a little bit like flying, although I'm sure that my "almost flying" isn't quite as swift as it was 30 years ago.   

My sweet nephew Carter was my skiing inspiration today. He's 3, and can zip down the big hill with the best of them.



Oh, if only we could bottle just a little bit of that youthful exuberance. Carter was on skis even before he could walk.

I would be remiss if I didn't say that I was also inspired by Carter's dad, Alex. Skiing was not really his thing, but seeing how Carter has taken to it, he said that he didn't want to be one of those dads who would tell his son that his mom would have to take him skiing. Alex bought his own equipment last weekend. Bravo Alex!



I joked that he kind of reminded me of Will Farrell in "Elf" when I first saw him on the bunny hill "carpet" in a line of little kids. He's 6' 7"...so he looked real tall next to all those young' uns.


I think part of the reason that I stopped skiing regularly is that I didn't have people to ski with. I figure I might have 10 years with Carter, before he's a teenager and skiing with your aged aunt just isn't cool anymore. Well, heck, by then I'll be pushing 60 and my knees might be shot anyway. But, I am going to have to invest in some new equipment. My Nordica boots and Rossignol skis circa 1978 are way way outdated and probably downright dangerous. The rental equipment at Sundown is downright nasty.

If only I was independently wealthy my one woman crusade to stimulate the economy would be less painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When You Selfishly Think You Had a Bad Day

I was feeling sorry for myself as I sat in the Admiral's Lounge, waiting for my flight home. It was a stressful week at work. I logged 7...