Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Brunch Sunday

I know most of you are thinking today is the day for Super Bowl parties -- nachos, chicken wings, little smokies, cheese, brats, and lots of beer. I've never quite felt the same about the NFL since my beloved Don Shula and Dan Marino retired from the Miami Dolphins. My obsession with the Dolphins started back in the 70s when they played in three consecutive Super Bowls, winning two of the three, including the '72-'73 team that went undefeated and remains the only NFL team to accomplish this feat. I had a total school girl crush on Bob Griese back in those days...Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, Paul Warfield, Nick Buoniconti. Ahhhh, what a team. I lost that lovin' feeling when Don Shula retired and he was replaced with Jimmy Johnson. I cannot cheer for a man who uses more hair product than me.

Instead of celebrating the Super Bowl today, I invited a few friends over for super brunch. It was damn good if I do say so myself. And, I must give a shout out to Paula Deen for her contribution with three excellent recipes. My starting line up went something like this:
  • Mimosas
  • Coffee with Bailey's Irish Cream
  • Yogurt parfaits with vanilla yogurt and strawberries, black raspberries, and blueberries macerated in orange liqueur
  • Chocolate/banana monkey bread
  • Eggs strada with shrimp/mushrooms/brie
  • Roast pork loin with mango chutney
  • Four cheese pesto baked spaghetti
As if that wasn't enough to put me into myocardial infarc, Cassie shows up with an assortment of cheesecakes.

It was a perfect lazy early Sunday afternoon....good food, good friends, good conversation. Now that I am mildly sedated from the booze and the food, I shall park myself on the sofa and wait for the Super Bowl commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When You Selfishly Think You Had a Bad Day

I was feeling sorry for myself as I sat in the Admiral's Lounge, waiting for my flight home. It was a stressful week at work. I logged 7...