As I was putting on my hat and gloves to make the cold walk to the car, he said he hoped we'd see each other again. I said we would, maybe tomorrow. As I shook his hand and turned to leave, I whispered, "Good-bye Dad."
Thursday, December 12, 2019
The Loneliest Time of Year
I spotted him from the window as I was getting out of my car, the gray-haired man sitting alone at the dining table. I approached him as I entered the dining room, he greeted me with a smile and said to have a seat. I asked him how his day was, and he said it had been busy because of the weather. The roads were snowy, cars were in ditches, and people were complaining. He asked if I had a busy day at work and if I had taken many calls because of the weather. We talked about my recent vacation to Mexico and the upcoming Christmas holiday. He mentioned that he remembered my dad and always liked him. We talked a while longer and when it was time to go, he offered to pay for my meal. I reminded him that I hadn't eaten. "Next time," he said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm Wondering How I Got Here...
I never considered myself a girlie girl. I never wore pink as a child...or really even as an adult. I probably played "house" a ha...
-
I just returned from my first trip to Paris. Overall, it was a lovely trip that was jam-packed with fun and adventure despite the rainy weat...
-
On my way home from work tonight, there was a story on NPR about a speech Robert F. Kennedy made in South Africa in 1966. A new documentary,...
-
One obvious sign of my aging over the past years occurs every summer when I make that first foray into the river to see if I can still water...
That is rough. I hope you are well in this season of your life Carol.
ReplyDelete