Sunday, May 1, 2011

I'm Ready Now...

One obvious sign of my aging over the past years occurs every summer when I make that first foray into the river to see if I can still water ski. I think I was 11 or 12 when I first learned to ski. Back then, I popped right up and could ski for miles without getting tired. Now, I recognize that things were a little different for me 38 years ago...(Christ, just writing that makes me feel like I just aged another 5 years). Specifically, I 
  • was 12! My stamina was way better than it is now.
  • probably weighed about 75 pounds less than I do now. (And, 75 is probably on the low side!)
  • used two skis back then...way less torque needed to pull yourself out of the water.
  • had the luxury of being able to ski behind a fast boat (back then, we had a CorrectCraft inboard...great for skiing, but not very roomy on the inside!).
  • didn't have to worry about the touch of arthritis I think I'm beginning to get in just about every joint of my body.
With aging and, yes, weight gain and my progression to slaloming, my days of "popping right out" are long gone. In fact, in the last couple of years, by the time I would finally break through the water and plane out...I was already exhausted. I thought it was just me. After a little searching on the web, I find this is common for us middle-agers.

Then, there is the equipment. Tim's and Ryan's boats aren't as fast as a CorrectCraft, but, they are great boats for a leisurely day on the river. Besides, CorrectCrafts aren't very practical for the Mississippi. In addition, I felt nostalgic skiing on Janis' wooden Connelly ski, circa about 1983. It's a classic, right? Well, evidently, wooden skis have gone the way of wooden golf clubs! (It's still a really cool looking ski, I don't care what anyone says.) I started doing some research about my dilemma of pulling my fat butt out of the water in a more expeditious manner. The solution -- the Pilot!


They do make skis for old fat people! I was sold when I read the description: 
The Pilot lets everyone enjoy a day at the lake, no matter what his or her skill level - beginner to intermediate. Wide tip and tail and enhanced Connelly Tracking System make deep-water starts a breeze. Super sidecut design makes turns easy while skiing at 29 mph or less.
Deep water starts a breeze???? Sign me up. I researched a little further for some actual customer testimonials. 
Good ride for me, I am able to stand right up and ride without getting tired, but I'm 50!
This ski allows you to come out of the water very easy in both deep and shallow water starts. It is very easy to ski on and doesn't tire you out. Probably doesn't cut as well as the narrow competition skis, but is adequate and the ease of use far outweighs. I would recommend this ski to anyone having trouble getting out on one.

The pilot ski helps me pop up and gives me an easier ride than my old ski.

This ski is a breeze to get up on, fun to ride, and not at all tiring. I haven't skied so far so easily on a slalom in years.
Evidently, there must be a correlation to the width of your ass and the width of the ski! Check out this width of this baby:



The ski was on sale at Overton's and Scheel's in Coralville price matched the sale price. This is my early 50th birthday present to myself, and I'm seriously hoping I'll be able to write my own testimonial when I hit the water in June. Something like:
This ski is a dream come true for overweight out-of-shape women approaching a mid-life crisis and trying to relive the glory days! I popped right up and was able to ski the entire length of Deadman's Slough without passing out.
Stayed tuned!!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck...my secret summer goal is to get out of the water for the first time. I will likely need two of those wide ass skis to even have a bit of a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having mid-life crises. Good thing we have our credit cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cassie -- As your hubby says, it's all about the right tools!

    ReplyDelete

When You Selfishly Think You Had a Bad Day

I was feeling sorry for myself as I sat in the Admiral's Lounge, waiting for my flight home. It was a stressful week at work. I logged 7...