Sunday, July 10, 2011

Deep Water Starts a Breeze!

As you may recall if you follow my blog, back in early May I blogged about the new slalom ski I purchased that was going to solve all my water skiing issues. Well, I'm happy to report -- thumbs up to the Pilot.

Old School -- New School
Here's the comparison of my "equipment." The ski on the left is what I have been using basically since I finally mastered (if you can call it that) slalom skiing about 27 years ago. It's actually my sister-in-law Janis' ski. Back in the day...it was pretty awesome. Enter the Pilot. As you can see, the Pilot gives a lot more surface area, which is what is supposed to make skiing so much easier.

I think my blog on May 1 included some customer testimonials that you would "pop right up" with the Pilot. Well, I can't say that I popped right up, but I will say that the deep water start was significantly easier with the Pilot. I didn't nearly drown myself before exiting the water, and I did not displace my contacts on the start. So, what was probably a 15-20 second (I'm speculating here) ordeal with the wooden Connelly, was reduced to maybe 7-10 seconds. That might not seem like a lot of time, but try it when you are:
  • Old
  • Fat
  • Out of shape 
  • Holding on to a rope attached to a boat that is going 25-30 mph
I did, however, still get a wedgie coming out of the water. For the sake of the poor people we might pass on the river, I always address that issue first. Here's an action photo of the Pilot at work.

This is about as good as it gets!
It's perfect getting out on the river early in the morning (that's before 10 a.m. in our family). Smooth waters, few boats, cooler temps. Now, here is my niece Amanda really showing how to put the Pilot to work. Oh, to be 23 again, although I'm not sure even at 23 my form was this good.

This is what I wished I looked like!
Here I am with a post-water skiing after glow.

Me and my new best friend!
We tried to get our littlest skier out of the water today. As stated in his own words, "That was not gweat!" He then asked if I could box the skis up and send them back to the store because he would not need them anymore. Oh, Carter....
All decked out.
All in all, a great day skiing. I think my Couch to 5K has improved my skiing stamina as well. I guess we can call that a win win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When You Selfishly Think You Had a Bad Day

I was feeling sorry for myself as I sat in the Admiral's Lounge, waiting for my flight home. It was a stressful week at work. I logged 7...