Thursday, April 21, 2011

Afternoon Delight

I took vacation days today and tomorrow to complete my spring "to do" list, which consisted of cleaning/organizing the closets, taking oversized items to Laundromania to wash, cleaning the basement carpet, and hauling crap I no longer needed to Goodwill. Oh, I had big plans for the day. But, then, I got a text message from JoEllen.


That was us at our 30-year class reunion last summer. JoEllen was in Iowa from Georgia to visit her siblings for Easter. She was in Iowa City today for a campus visit with her daughter, who is graduating from high school. After a couple of hours her daughter decided Auburn was more her speed, so they canceled the rest of the campus visit. That's where I come in. Nothing left to do but to meet up with JoEllen at the Airliner and spend the afternoon reminiscing and laughing over Blue Moons. Thirty years ago, we probably would have kept right on drinking through the night. Now, after a few pints, we decided it was time to take the party to the Java House. Yes, this is clearly a sign of aging. Quite frankly, a nap entered my mind more than once. JoEllen and I had many late nights when we were in our early twenties. Her poor mother, Eleanor, I can still picture her sitting in their kitchen as we came stumbling in at the crack of dawn and saying "What are you girls doing all night?"

These thoughts, of course, make me laugh and scare JoEllen as she is about to send her first born off to college.

So much for my spring cleaning list. Well, tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When You Selfishly Think You Had a Bad Day

I was feeling sorry for myself as I sat in the Admiral's Lounge, waiting for my flight home. It was a stressful week at work. I logged 7...