Sunday, August 8, 2010

Corn

I was inspired by corn this weekend. Lush, bountiful, verdant corn stretching sometimes as far as the eye could see into the horizon. Driving through the Iowa countryside, I sensed what must have inspired Grant Wood years ago, the endless rolling hills...and corn. As I drove in silence, I was transported to my childhood, running through the cornfields with our Collie, dwarfed by the tall cornstalks and their tassles pointing to the endless blue sky and warm sun. If I listen hard enough, I can hear the sounds of the country, the locusts, crickets, and birds. Then, I see myself sitting in the backyard at dusk, fresh from a bath, in my cotton pajamas watching the fireflies dart in and out of the corn.

For a few moments, I have escaped the noise of life. It is just me, alone in my car, and corn. I am reminded how simple and good life can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When You Selfishly Think You Had a Bad Day

I was feeling sorry for myself as I sat in the Admiral's Lounge, waiting for my flight home. It was a stressful week at work. I logged 7...